Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Making Mondays: A Creepy Cat for Halloween


We are now back from a beautiful little break (more on that soon!) but first Making Mondays!  Yashar's first ever bit of Halloween crafting.   The idea came from the Tin Can Black Cat on Kaboose.com.  I wanted to make the project a little easier and more fun for Yashar (who is almost 2 years old), so we mainly used velcro instead of glue.

While Yashar was having his nap I got out the tin and the little cover I had used first for the bulbs in tins and then for herbs in preparation for the wooden fruit crate garden.  I cut some pieces of scrap fabric I had for the ears, eyes, nose and whiskers and mouth of the cat.  Then I drew the eyelids and pupils on with a marker.  To make the ears stand up I stuck a piece of double sided tape to the back, but didn't peel the piece of paper of the second side.

I attached a piece of velcro to the back of the eyes, the bottom half of the ears and the nose and to the corresponding places on the tin for them.  And I also put double sided tape on the back of the whiskers and mouth of the cat and stuck them in place on the tin.


This meant that when Yashar woke up it was ready for him to place the eyes, ears and nose on, and to easily rearrange them to his hearts content!  He loved doing this...velcro on, velcro off, velcro on....so much so that I will be needing to make this again with the velcro attached better to withstand all the play!     This would also be fun with interchangable eyes, ears etc.  I think it is a safe bet that you will be seeing more velcro fun soon!!

Back soon with lots of news and some pretty holiday scenes!

PS  One of the new cards for my shop made it to the front page of Etsy this morning.  Woohoo!

1 comment:

renai said...

Congrats for being on etsy front page!!