Thursday, December 2, 2010

Chest of Drawers: Before and After


I bought this set of drawers at a local second hand place because I liked the size of the drawers - long and thin - to store lots of papers and prints in my studio.  But apart from the size of drawers they were pretty nasty!  Lots of missing handles and those that were there were not pretty, and lots of tape stuck over the front.
So I gave then a good clean, removing the sticky tape and all the remaining knobs.    I took all the drawers out and stood them upright on newspaper and painted them with a white enamel paint.  Having them upright meant I could paint them with good thick coats while still getting a nice smooth finish (no drip lines).   I gave them two coats (with a couple of days to dry in between).     I managed to get these pretty handles on sale at Zara Home - yay!    I went to put one of them on after letting the paint dry for a day but realised the paint wasn't totally dry...ooops!  So I left it a couple more days before putting the rest on.  I left the outside as it was and I really like how it framed the white drawers.

I was so happy with how it turned out...and with how many of my things fit in them....




The Bazaar went really well  :)   And it was great to meet so many lovely people that were really encouraging about my work!  Thank you!    But...I can't believe I forgot my camera ...so no photos.  I was disappointed about that because I was so happy with how it all came together.  Oh well!  And I am way behind on my emails!  So sorry to everyone I haven't got back to yet - I will as soon as I possibly can.

Ooh!  And my new cards were featured on Print & Pattern today!  Yay!  Thank you so much Print & Pattern!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, love the simplicity and elegance of the drawers. I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those for myself!

Jacqui Dodds said...

Found you from the article on the Print and Pattern site. This chest of drawers is beautiful - you have good vision to imagine them some other way and what a lovely job you have made of them.

zeynep bayram said...

çok hoş:))

Euphoria said...

I must say it looks very femenine, I love it!

Kathryn said...

Oh my you have made that chest gorgeous!
And I love the rose handles, Zara home has lovely things doesn't it and very reasonable prices usually.
It's lovely to see more of your home honey. The tree on the wall is beautiful and that long White sideboard is gorgeous too :)
Love n wishes Kat x

Anonymous said...

Lovely job! Those handles are gorgeous!

Sümeyye said...

çok güzel olmuş,çok özendiriyorsun beni senin boyadığın bu dolapları görünce evdeki bütün dolapları boyamak geliyor içimden :)

Derya Ünal said...

Hi!
I have a question. I want to paint my cupboard white like this. Which paint did you use? And how to paint? Could hlp me I'll be satisfied...

Derya Ünal said...

Thank you very much for your help!!!!!