
For those of you that have been around here for a while...do you remember this photograph?? This was when he was just 6 months old. Wow, life is different now!
We had such a fun party for him on Saturday - with a bit of a jungle theme going on. I was rushing around and didn't take enough photos at all :( I will look at what I did take soon and show you all the little details, making etc! But first one of the bigger details - the cake! I'm definitely no professional cake maker...this had the 'homemade' look to it for sure hehehe. But anyway - it was a hit...because Yashar was so excited about it and loved it...and of course, that makes me very happy.
When I was little, every year I was allowed to pick a cake for my Mum to make for my birthday from the Women's Weekly Childrens Birthday Cake Book
The instructions from the book were just to use packet cake, but I wasn't having any of that ;) So I did a quick internet search and used this 'One Bowl Chocolate Cake' recipe from Martha Stewart. It was fairly easy and turned out nice and moist. I just substituted plain yoghurt for the buttermilk.
The finished cake! And you can see a peek of the snakes in jelly...eeeewww!
Then there was the icing, oh the icing...which was delicious...but took a looong time. I used this recipe for Buttercream Frosting also from marthastewart.com. I followed some of the commenters' suggestions and didn't use as much butter as the recipe suggested. For quite a while, while I was in my pjs making it an hour before the guests arrived, I thought it wasn't going to work...but I just kept on mixing and finally it thickened up and I had time to quickly put the funny lion face together :) Next time I want to try the Magnolia Bakery Buttercream... Mmmmm... sounds delicious and much much easier to make!



5 comments:
Happy happy birthday Yashar!!! Sorry it's a bit late! I can remember visiting Yashar when he was only a couple of days old - such a beautiful baby with an amazing head of dark hair!
He's grown up into such a delightful little boy. One of the highlights of visiting Turkey last year was hanging out with Yashar.
We had the same tradition as children!. I used to spend hours turning each page and trying to decide. Even just enjoyed looking though it for fun. Mum still has her copy and I have the newer edition. Such nice memories...you did a great job. Happy Birthday Yashar! xx
Sorry to write late but happy birthday to Yaşar,and i wish his life passes with full of happiness and health....
Geç yazdığım için çok özür dilerim sizi uzun zamandır takip ediyorum ve çok seviyorum benim de ikiz kızlarım var ve sanırım aynı yaştalar oğlunuza harikulade sağlıklı mutlu upuzun bir ömür diliyorum başarılarla beraber...
Berna (Defne ve Duru )
That looks so yummy!Happy Birthday to the little man :) We also had this tradition with two womans weekly books...and now I have them for my kids!only thing is my three year old said she wanted each one as she was going through.....so I bucked tradition & surprised her with a Dinsouar instead. ps Would love to see some more of your crafting days on the blog!
Happy belated birthday to your little boy! He's growing handsomer by the day!
Post a Comment