Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sacre Cordon Bleu: What the French know about cooking

Monday's post on books reminded me of some good books I have read recently that I wanted to share with you. Um...yes...I love books in case you hadn't noticed already!

One of the best recently was 'Sacre Cordon Bleu: What the French Know about Cooking'. I have mentioned it a couple of times:

Firstly here - where I was totally hooked as soon as Madame Raffarin shows the author, Micheal Booth, and his wife around the Parisian apartment full of shelves of dusty antique books, vast oil paintings and fading velvet curtains with views of the Arc de Triomphe and Eiffel Tower (and then they excitedly spy the boulangerie and chocolatier on the street below).

Then here - when I was jam making and was reminded of Booth's teacher, Chef Forais' (from the chocolate course he does at the Ecole Ritz Escoffier) 'secret' to making delicious jam.


Booth takes you through his experiences (both wonderful and woeful) living in Paris and attending the famous Cordon Bleu cooking school. You find out all about what they actually learn there and then what it is like to work in the kitchen of a Michelin star restaurant owned by one of the most well known chefs in France.

The book is full of little cooking gems, but the best part about the book (I think) is the story telling by Micheal Booth. This was one of very few books that had me laughing out loud. Loved it!
Oh and I love the cover art too - by Richard Merritt - fantastic illustrator.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great that you like to read a lot and thanks for sharing your wonderful Monday experience with us..
Carol
Plug and play Security Systems no Contracts at the best affordable Prices