Monday, May 3, 2010

Making Mondays - In Season: Strawberry Jam

Wow!  We have been doing a lot of cooking around here!  Including this yummy yummy strawberry jam.   I really like making jam...I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it involves making something that lasts a tiny bit longer than tonight's dinner.  And that you can give a jar to your mother in law and your neighbour.


I also love that it involves using fruit that is in season.    The smell of these strawberries as I was chopping them up was so delicious.  I was in heaven.  The strawberries were sweet and ripe, so I cut the sugar a little and it made a beautiful rich jam.  Yum!

The recipe is from Apples for Jam by Tessa Kiros (the book I mentioned last week that I was lucky enough to get for my birthday).  This book is sooo good!  It has pretty much become my new cooking bible.  Just like Stephanie Alexander's The Cook's Companion: The Complete Book of Ingredients and Recipes for the Australian Kitchen and Greg Malouf's Arabesque were in Australia (but that were too heavy to carry with me).  As much as I like being able to look up a recipe on the web, I love books so much more, with beautiful pictures that you can pour over and be inspired by.   And I love the old recipe book my Mum has with recipes collected over the years and all the memories that go with them.  What's your favourite cookbook? 

3 comments:

renai said...

You are great with jam. I am too scared to try it. I love Jamie Oliver's books. I have three of them and they are just a great reference for anything and I love that he makes everything look so easy. For a while now, as I love baking, I've been using the Joy of Baking website which has some fanstastic cake, cookie, muffin, cupcake recipes. The carrot cake rocks!

matt&ruth said...

I love your pics - looks delicious :) Do you know of a good recipe for cherry jam? Now that all the cherries are starting to come out in the markets, I was reminded of the most delicious cherry jam I had a couple years ago...made me want to try my hand at it - if I could find a good recipe.

Euphoria said...

Mhhhh, sounds and looks delicious. I love the way our home smells after making jam. I should make more. We are in winter down here, but I can try with oranges.