Monday, February 15, 2010

Making Mondays: Letter Collecting

This morning I remembered a project we did back in University (when I was studying Graphic Design - before I swapped over to law and arts with a politics major...yes, it's been a winding road to get here.  Now I dream about how amazing it would be to go back to Uni to study fine arts/illustration!  To be able to spend all those hours creating, experimenting, honing technique would be amazing). 

I digress.  We did a project that involved taking photographs of various letters around the city and then using those to spell out a word.  So I thought this would be a great way to spell out Yashar's name and some numbers - especially as he is just at the very beginnings of recognising the shapes of numbers.  We managed to get some great ones - but still have plenty to collect.  Quite a few of the apartment buildings around here have old hand painted signs for the apartment names which I love.

When I got back to write this post I did a little googling and found a site called Create Sticks and Stones that  does a similar thing that you can order except the letters are formed from found objects.  I think this is such a nice idea!  The site has some gorgeous photos that will get you inspired! ...or you could just buy one from there! :)  This is one of the examples from their website.  I think the forms they have chosen are so beautiful and unique.


But for us it is another work in progress!

1 comment:

Martina said...

Inspirung post - i love letters, thank you :)