Monday, January 18, 2010

Making Mondays: Christmas Remnant Collages


Oooh!  I was so happy with how these turned out.  As usual, after Christmas I had a collection of little cards and pieces of wrapping that were so pretty and that I didn't want to throw out.   So one morning I got inspired and set up this activity for Yashar so he could make mini collages.  Art work and reusing things that would otherwise be thrown out...yay!

I was so amazed with how Yashar (who is 2 years old!) did these.  I thought I would have to closely guide every little step, but I just got it all set up for him and he did the rest.  The photos don't do his artwork justice at all!  (all these grey days make taking good photos hard work)   This is what we did:

1.  I set up the Christmassy bits and pieces in an huge egg carton (these are the ones they use at the local market here).  I put in gift tags, snowflakes cut out from some cards, some paper dolls I cut out of some wrapping paper and a few mini ottoman style portraits that were in a free Ramadan calender we got from an Iskender kebab restaurant a while back.


2.  I cut out 6 pieces of cardboard (a little smaller than postcard size) and covered them in some wrapping paper.  You can't really tell in the photos but the wrapping paper is actually a beautiful matt gold colour.

3.  Then I put it all out on the table, along with the glue stick and Yashar got busy!


He loved it!  And I think it helped that we did this activity in the morning (rather than the afternoon, when Yashar has a little less patience...especially now that he has pretty much stopped his day time naps...eeek! I'm hoping it's just a phase???)

4 comments:

renai said...

Yasah is already showing his creative talents V!! They look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Well done Yashar - the little cards look beautiful. I think you are very clever for a little two year old because it would have required lots of concentration and a steady hand and also you have done them very artistically! xx

. said...

Great idea!!! I will have to get my five year old busy (school holidays here and I need ideas!) Persevere with Yashar's sleeps (my 2.5 yr old is trying to give up his nap, I don't know who needs the rest more, me or him!) :-)

Mum in the Making said...

These look great! And I like it that you're reusing stuff... very green! :)