Monday, December 21, 2009

Making Mondays: Sweet Butter Biscuit Cabins


These week we made some of these very cute butter biscuit cabins - perfect for getting in the mood for Christmas.  Yashar and I go to an informal weekly playgroup where each of the mothers take it it turn hosting, we each bring some food and the kids get to play while we all have a chance to have a coffee, talk about life and eat some yummy food...a perfect arrangement!  This week's lovely host had organised this little activity and it was great! 

It was quick and easy - perfect for toddlers...although admittedly Yashar did spend most of the time trying to stuff all the decorations in his mouth rather than on the house :)  ...ok I may have eaten some too.

The butter biscuit houses were stuck together using rectangular butter biscuits and icing.   Four biscuits for the walls, one on top for the ceiling, and two on a slope for the roof.   I'm not sure which frosting was used, but there is a recipe for one online   here.  Basically you need a thick royal icing that will stay in place so that the decorations won't slide off.  The houses were all prepared beforehand which I think is an excellent idea, especially when doing this with toddlers!


Then bowls and piping bags of icing were put on the table, along with little bowls of various sweets.  The Mums helped put on the icing and the kids got creative with the placing the sweets on top.  I think they turned out so sweet and Yashar was so proud to show his Baba when he got home.

3 comments:

Mum in the Making said...

Wowee!!! Amazing, and yummy too! Thanks for sharing this idea!

Anonymous said...

That's such a great idea and I bet Yashar just loved putting one decoration on the cake and one or two for himself. Very cute.
xxx

Angie said...

What a great idea! Wish I would have thought of it. My son is allergic to nuts so we can't buy any of the kits out there (at least the one's that I have found). This was something I wanted to do with him this year, but I ran out of time to figure out how to make one from scratch. This is so simple! I like how they are tiny and kid-sized too. I'll have to bookmark this for next year. :-) Have a Merry Christmas!!

Angie