Monday, September 14, 2009

Making Mondays: Minik Minik Flag Garland

So many of the children's bedrooms that I love have gorgeous flag garlands - so this week I finally got to make one for Yashar too.  I am calling this the minik minik garland (minik roughly translates as mini - and is often used to describe a cute little thing - tiny and adorable) because each flag is only about 6cm (2.4 inches) long.

Since it's getting colder around here I thought it would be nice to use some heavier fabrics than what is normally used.  So I sorted through my fabric to find something suitable.   Everything except the linen is actually pieces from old clothes of ours that, for whatever reason, we don't wear any more. 

I especially love the navy material from 'Baba's' old suit - one of the very few benefits of having a husband that 'works for the man' is the gorgeous suit and shirt fabrics I end up with.  And the beautiful lambs wool/cashmere knit makes it a little cosy - the tragic story of my favourite jumper being put in a hot wash and shrinking, by a certain person that is lucky I love him so much, is a whole other story!

I have to admit, I'm no sewing expert.  I tend to guess how to do it half the time and to wing it the rest of the time!  This was no exception.   This is the method I came up with: 

1. First I made two little paper templates.  One for a small triangle about 7 cm (2.8 inches) wide and 6 cm (2.4 inches) long and a second larger triangle about 9 cm (3.5 inches)wide and 7 cm (2.8 inches) long (the same as the small triangle, but with a seam allowance added on).

2. For the fabric that didn't look like it would fray much I just cut out 5 flags from each fabric using the smaller triangle template as a guide.

3. For the fabric I thought would fray a lot or curl I cut out 10 of the larger triangles from each fabric (ie to make 5 flags from each fabric).  For each of these flags I put two larger triangles facing each other and sewed the bottom two sides together, then flipped it out the right way.
4. I gave all the triangles a good iron, and for the sewn flags I folded the top of each flag inwards and ironed it for a nice straight edge at the top.

5. I played around with the order a little and then sewed the tops of the flags on to a long navy ribbon.  Finito! 


Yashar was very excited about it - particularly when I explained that I made it specially for him!

6 comments:

Mum in the Making said...

Wow! That looks really good! :) Yashar's lucky to have a mummy that can all these things for him!

renai said...

Miss Verity! You are so talented. I love this! My sister has one hanging in her studio made of her gorgeous japanese fabrics and it looks so nice. Yashar looks chuffed in that pic as he looks up at his mums creation! Nice work. I wish i was only just a bit creative!

permanentcloud said...

so cute!

Heather said...

I love that picture!

I've made one for a gift before (still to make them for my own boys) and rather than turning in the top edge, I left it open an sewed all the triangles into folded over wide bias. Its really easy if you have an overlocker (serger) and you can zip across the tops first one after the other to chain them together.

Thankyou for this picture as you have also helped me with my dilemma of curtains for my boys rooms.

Mandy @ Belle and Boo said...

its beautiful and I can't wait to see your new cards Mandy x

bevin said...

cute. i made similar garlands for my son's third birthday. they are a great green decoration alternative for any occasion.