
Like a few projects of mine, this cushion was started a long time ago! I pulled it out during the week to finish it off and decided I liked it just how it was. Light and bright for Summer.This was very straightforward to make. I made a plain pillow style cushion cover (no zip or buttons). I just figured it out as I went, but there is a tutorial here to make it even easier.
Then I sketched the simple bird outlines on the front softly with a grey lead (so that they would be covered once the embroidery was done). I used some cotton yarn I had (embroidery floss would be great to use too of course) and embroidered the bird using a simple outline stitch (the only embroidery stitch I know!). I was lucky enough to have my Mum teach me this stitch, but there are instructions on how to do the stitch here. It's easy!
I made the stripes using a running stitch, poking the needle in and out of the fabric a number of times before pulling the cotton through to make the process faster. Finito! A bright summery cushion that Yashar likes too - he is always pointing at it and saying 'Bir' (Bird) or 'Kus' (Turkish for bird) - He loves birds!
Yashar and I have been loving these lately too - the free downloadable colouring pages from the gorgeous Small online magazine. I'm not loving our mustardy yellow walls though! :( I'm always dreaming of painting them all creamy white!
Anyway...just click on the 'small draw' link in each issue to download a page for colouring by a great group of illustrators/artists including Jen Corace and Ryan Berkley. Then you can print off as many as you like. We often colour them together because I like colouring them too!
3 comments:
You must have known! Just yesterday I was cruising the internet for a pattern to see if i could manage to make a cushion cover! The only problem - no sewing machine! Gorgeous cushion though V. Nice one.
Beautiful hand embroidery! Gave me lots of ideas for simple projects I can do while the kids are sleeping. :)
fabulous. can't wait to make my own version!
Post a Comment